Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm in love!!!

With my Nike+ that is. I haven't figured out all the features yet, but I'm loving what I have figured out. I'm still trying to figure out alot of the online components. (I really like the graph of the run for the day though.)

I set up the 12 week beginner training for a 5K coach on Monday. I will finish my training about a week before my first race. I've already done my first two training runs and exceeded the distance goals it had set for me. (I'm still doing intervals of running and walking, but I'm running alot longer than I'm walking now!) I do find it odd thought that within the next month they expect me to be able to RUN 7 miles, especially since the goal is a 5K (3.1 miles) race at the end of the 12 weeks. My husband insists that is conditioning (he is probably right), but I think it is torture. Not because running is torture, but because at 8 a.m. it is already over 100 degrees when you factor in the humidity.

I'm really enjoying running and am motivated with each new goal I meet. Never thought I would be one to say "I enjoy running!" or "I can't wait for X race." The Nike + is really helping me run further and longer. I love all the reminders while running and the countdown it gives you as you approach your goal for that particular run. I found myself saying "Oh there are only x meters left, I will just keep running." even though my time interval for my run was up. I was even motivated to go above and beyond my 5K run today. I ended up runing 3.62 miles today. I also had my new best time for a 5K run, 41 minutes! That is pretty darn good for me, considering I only just got back into running after not running for years.

While I enjoy the actual great feeling of running, I'm hating the elements I'm running in. It's so hot and humid. By five minutes into my run, I'm beat red and dripping with sweat. It's just not fun!!! By the time I get home, I smell like Forrest Gump's running shoes. (I'm sure you needed to know that. LOL) It's just not a pleasant feeling. I hate the Florida summers! Hopefully it won't deter me from my goals. I need one of those misting fans they have at theme parks to attach to my jogging stroller to keep me cool while I'm running. hehe

0 comments: